Can I install QuickBooks Desktop Pro on more than one computer?
I am glad that you are going to another step in taking advantage of QuickBooks. Yes, definitely QuickBooks Pro has the multi-user feature. Multi-user mode helps more than one person work on Single company file at the same time which is time-consuming and makes your business more productive.
Before that, you must have a separate licensed copy of QuickBooks that needs to be installed in each system in which you are going to run QuickBooks simultaneously. As there is a limitation that how many users can access multi-user mode in different versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
- QuickBooks Pro can access a maximum of three users.
- QuickBooks Premier can access a maximum of five users.
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions can allow a maximum of thirty users.
Now, learn how to set up multi-user mode in QuickBooks Desktop:
Set up and install multi-user mode in QuickBooks Desktop:
Let me help you how to set up QuickBooks Desktop in multi-user mode. While doing set up it requires some modifications in QuickBooks Desktop, Windows, and in Server.
Step 1: Setting up QuickBooks Desktop
in multi-user mode, the specific system which stored your company file is your server system. And all the other systems connected with that server system are workstations.
- First, download and install QuickBooks Desktop on your server system.
- Then choose the Custom and Network install option for the network type.
- Choose I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing… If you require a full version of QuickBooks Desktop on your server system. And if you only want to that your server system host your company file then go to this option I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer…
- And you need to follow on-screen instructions to finish your installation process.
I recommended you to store your company files on your server system local hard drive. It will be easy for you to share those files.
Step 2: Set folder permissions
Go through the steps to set up folder permissions. Ensure that the system that holds a company file has the permissions over the network. Every QuickBooks version has similar components that require to update to function in QuickBooks multi-user mode. Sometimes you face errors in multi-user mode. Not to worry, just need to download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor to diagnose and fix these errors. This tool analyzes that your system is set up for multi-user mode or not.
First, verify the permissions are set correctly
- Go to the company file folder and right-click choose Properties.
- Choose the Advanced options in the Security tab.
- Choose QBDataServiceUserXX and go for the Edit option.
- And set allow to all the settings.
But if the permissions are not set correctly
- Right-click the company file folder and click on the Properties option.
- Choose the Security option and Edit.
- Select QBDataServiceUserXX and go to the Full Control option, click on the Allow button.
- Choose the Apply option and click OK.
Change Folder permission
- Go to the File Explorer
- Choose the Properties option by right-clicking on the Parent folder. You need to perform these steps for all the folders which are listed.
Set up access permissions to share company files
If you don’t want to face any trouble in the future then you need to make sure QuickBooks have the right level of permissions.
Windows 10, 8 and 7
- First, open File explorer.
- Navigate and right-click on the folder that contains the company files.
- Choose the Properties and then click on Share Add option in the Sharing option.
- Then set up permission levels for the users to Full control and Share.
Set up permissions for Window 8.1
Want to ownership of the file
- Select the folder for which you want to take ownership and go to the Share option.
- Choose the Advanced Security option.
- Select Advanced in the Change option and then click on Find Now.
- Select the User and click on Ok.
Set up for Full control permission
- Select the folder and click on the Share option.
- In Advanced security go for an Add option and then Select a Principle.
- Select Find Now option in Advanced.
- And select the user and click on Ok.
Step 3: Install Database Server Manager
Install Database Server Manager on your server system. QuickBooks Database Server Manager tool helps you to share your company file with other systems over the network.
Step 4: Set up Admin rights
Be sure while using the user account. The user account you use to sign up for your server system must have window admin rights. And also remember that the Windows user account for the Database Server Manager has admin rights.
Step 5: Use Database Server Manager
After installing use Database Server Manager to scan the folder that holds your company files.
After finishing you will see this file in the “QuickBooks company files found”. Now, you can access the company files in these folders through other systems via a network.
Step 6: Turn on hosting
No everything is done outside the QuickBooks, only need to do one thing is to turn on multi-user access on the server system. Make sure your server system is the only which have this feature need to turn on.
- Go to the File menu in the QuickBooks and click on Utilities option.
- Choose Host Multi-User Access. And go to Ok for the confirmation.
Now, you are ready to host your company file over the network.
Whenever you want to access the multi-user network, all you need to do sign up as a user with admin rights in the server system and workstations.
Yes. You can install QuickBooks Desktop Pro on multiple computers. If your company has multiple employees and who require random access to QuickBooks, According to Intuit, you may install a single-user license version of QB on a computer and on a portable device, only if there is the one used for both devices. Read the instruction given below to install QuickBooks Desktop Pro on more than one computer. You also can call at our toll-free QuickBooks support number to get detailed information from Intuit certified ProAdvisors.
To install QB on additional computers for more users, you must buy additional licenses to access the QuickBooks.Quickbooks desktop premier allows up to 5 users, QuickBooks desktop Pro allows up to 3 users to work and access a QuickBooks desktop company file at the same time. But it depends on the number of user licenses you have.
But QuickBooks Enterprise allows you to have up to 30 users licenses at the same time.
If you want to install QuickBooks Pro on more than one Computer follow these step it’s really helpful for you:-
Insert the QuickBooks CD. The QuickBooks Installer will automatically open. If the dialog box does not open, right-click the “Start” button on your desktop and select “Explore.” Select the QuickBooks CD in the Folders list on the left side of the Explorer window, and click “Setup.exe” to launch the Intuit QuickBooks Installer. If you downloaded QuickBooks from Intuit Website, double-click the downloaded installation file to launch the Intuit QuickBooks Installer. Click the “Next” button in the lower right corner of the Intuit QuickBooks Installer to go to the License Agreement.
First Check the checkbox and next you must agree the “ license agreement” on the License Agreement page of the Intuit QuickBooks Installer, and click “Next” to go to the Choose Installation Type page.
Select “Express” on the Choose Installation Type page to receive recommendations from QB on installation options. Select “Custom and Network Options” to share QB across a network. Skip the next step if you selected “Custom and Network Options.”
If you selected “Express” in the previous step, click “Next” to go to the License and Product Numbers page. Enter “License and Product Numbers.” If you are installing from a CD, these numbers are on the yellow sticker that came with the CD. If you downloaded the installation from Intuit, these numbers are in the email Intuit sent you. Skip the next step.
If you selected “Custom and Network Options” in the previous step, click “Next” to go to the Custom and Network Options page. Read the available options, and click the appropriate radio button.
Click “Next” to go to the Upgrade or Change Installation Location page. Select the “Change the install location” radio button and click “Browse” to navigate to a different location if this is your preference. Click “Next” to go to the Ready to Install page.
Review your settings at the Ready to Install page for accuracy. Click “Install” to begin the installation.
Check “Open QuickBooks” and “Help me get started” on the Congratulations! page. Click “Finish” to perform the checked actions and close the Intuit QuickBooks Installer.
Repeat these steps for each computer. You cannot install QuickBooks on a shared computer and use the program across multiple computers. You must install the software on each computer.
If you are unable to install QuickBooks Desktop Pro on more than one computer, you can directly call our QuickBooks Enterprise support phone number +1-855-441-4417.